Does the name: Fudgy Black Bean Brownies scare you? Don't let it! If you're the kind of person who believes preparing food is a way of loving those around you, this recipe is for you! These brownies say “I Love You” to the recipient AND their heart!
They are moist with a rich chocolate flavor, but don't include the refined sugar, butter or flour that can lead to weight gain and, ultimately, to heart issues.
Fudgy black Bean Brownies Recipe:
- 15 small, or 10 Medjool, dates, pitted (1/2 cup packed).
- 1 (15-ounce) BPA-free can organic Black beans, drained and rinsed.
- 4 large Egg whites or 2 Tablespoons Chia seeds gelled in 6 tablespoons water.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce.
- 1/3 cup BPA-free canned pure pumpkin.
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line 8 X 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Finely chop dates.
- Add all ingredients, except chocolate chips, to high speed blender or food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips to batter.
- Stir to mix.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling rack. Completely cool before cutting into squares.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Yield: 16 brownies.
Approximate nutritional breakdown per 1 brownie:
128 calories, 4 grams protein, 3.5 grams fat, 20 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 74 milligrams sodium.