Dealing with extreme back pain can be debilitating. It can prevent you from being active, being social and maintaining mental and physical health. If you have a significant issue, HonorHealth's spine surgeons can walk you through your options for treatment.
Spine surgery at HonorHealth can accomplish one or all of the following:
- Decompress a nerve root or the spinal cord.
- Stabilize an unstable or painful segment of the spine.
- Reduce a deformity from a disease or disorder.
Types of Surgeries
- Minimally invasive spine surgery: Using an endoscope (a thin, flexible tube with a camera attached), HonorHealth surgeons can perform spine surgeries that require much smaller incisions than conventional surgery. Neurosurgeons can use minimally invasive techniques for spinal fusion, most often for degenerative discs, some deformity corrections such as scoliosis, and repair of herniated discs. Minimally invasive surgery can also reduce the length of hospital stays, postoperative pain and shorten recovery.
- Spinal fusion: Joining two or more vertebrae, primarily to eliminate pain caused by the abnormal motion of the vertebrae.
- Prosthetic disc replacement: An alternative to spinal fusion where a disc replacement allows for more flexibility than fusion.
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty: Minimally invasive procedures to treat vertebral compression fractures, which most often occur due to osteoporosis.
- Laminectomy: Surgery that involves the removal of a portion of the vertebral bone called the lamina. The surgery is commonly done to treat spinal stenosis, relieving pressure on the spinal cord.
- Stereotactic radiosurgery: A non-invasive outpatient procedure to provide pain relief from metastases or tumors from the spread of cancer to the skeletal system.