G-60, the geriatric trauma services program at John C. Lincoln and Deer Valley Medical Centers, is designed to provide effective and expedited care for trauma patients 60 and older.
G-60 was developed by Alicia Mangram, MD, medical director for HonorHealth Trauma and Critical Care Services at the two facilities. The program establishes a multidisciplinary medical team and an accelerated treatment plan to improve outcomes for older trauma patients. John C. Lincoln Medical Center also has a designated inpatient unit for G-60 patients.
Research has shown that trauma patients age 60 and older sustain more serious injuries than younger patients with similar causes of trauma. In addition, geriatric patients often experience more complications from their trauma injuries due to chronic medical conditions. Designing a distinct medical program that tailors care to geriatric trauma patients has led to better overall patient outcomes.
Components of the G-60 Program
The G-60 program is uniquely designed to provide specialized care. Led by a trauma surgeon, the program:
- Expedites identification and triage of potential G-60 patients in the emergency departments at John C. Lincoln and Deer Valley Medical Centers and the Level I trauma center at John C. Lincoln Medical Center.
- Immediately activates the G-60 clinical team when a G-60 patient is identified.
- Expedites hospital admission of G-60 patients.
- Assigns the patient to the designated G-60 inpatient unit at John C. Lincoln Medical Center, if applicable.
- Schedules surgery within 48 hours for geriatric patients with orthopedic injuries to improve outcomes.
Geriatric trauma patients treated through the G-60 program will benefit from:
- A multidisciplinary team of specially trained clinical staff dedicated to caring for geriatric patients. The team includes trauma surgeons, board-certified physicians, registered nurses, nurse practitioners, hospitalists, physical rehabilitation specialists, a floor nurse supervisor, a physical/occupational/speech therapist, respiratory therapists, nutritionists, pharmacists, social workers, and case managers.
- Expedited care that begins upon arrival at the emergency department.
- At John C. Lincoln Medical Center, private hospital rooms with special geriatric accommodations including softer lighting, larger clocks, built-in handles and fixtures that allow patients to move more safely.
For more information about HonorHealth's G-60 program, call Trauma Services at 602-870-6059.