- ¼ to 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- Juice of half a small lime
- 2 cups broccoli slaw mix
- 1 Tablespoon expeller or cold-pressed canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- ½ cup thinly-sliced red peppers
- 1 15-ounce BPA-free can organic black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup water
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas
- Diced fresh tomato
Make slaw mix: In a medium bowl, mix Greek yogurt with cilantro and lime juice.
Add broccoli slaw and mix well. Set aside.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
Add Tablespoon of oil. Once hot, add garlic, onions and red peppers.
Sauté until onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
Add black beans and stir.
Stir cumin, chili and garlic powders, salt, paprika and water into the bean mixture.
Use the back of a wooden spoon to lightly smash some of the black beans to help keep the mixture together.
Bring to a simmer and heat through, about 10 minutes.
Just before serving, heat the tortillas 2 or 3 at a time, either in a dry skillet on medium heat or in the microwave (separated by paper towels) on high for 5 seconds, just to soften.
Spread 1/3 cup of bean mixture into a tortilla.
Top with 1/3 cup of broccoli slaw and diced tomatoes.
Yield: 6 tacos.
Approximate nutritional breakdown per taco: 119 calories, 7 grams protein, 3 grams fat, 16 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fiber, 111 milligrams sodium.