Sports Medicine

Orthopedic Surgery Seminars

Register to attend and take the first step to understanding your options.

Attend in person.

Preparing for surgery? Watch online.

Questions? Call 623-580-5800

Whether you're an avid amateur or an elite athlete, participating in sports can sometimes result in the occasional injury. You might be dealing with an orthopedic issue such as sprains, breaks, torn tendons, cartilage defects, shoulder rotator cuff tears, elbow, wrist, hand, or foot injuries.

HonorHealth's orthopedic surgeons specializing in sports medicine can help you recover strength, endurance and range-of-motion, allowing you to get back into the game as quickly as possible. You can count on the latest techniques and the most advanced technology.

Request a referral to an orthopedic sports medicine specialist.

HonorHealth offers a full range of orthopedic, diagnostic, rehabilitative and preventive care, as needed. Our team is board-certified in orthopedic or general surgery and includes doctors who are fellowship trained in sports medicine, hand surgery, and foot and ankle surgery.

When to go to the Hospital

If you can't walk or use the injured limb or area, you should immediately go to the hospital's Emergency Department. Sports-related injuries can result in fractures, which may require immobilization or surgery and should be treated immediately. Other signs and symptoms that demand emergency evaluation:

  • Fever, which may indicate infection.
  • Severe pain.
  • Wound drainage.
  • Large wounds or puncture wounds.
  • Severe swelling.

When to Call the Doctor

To manage your injury at home, experts recommend using a technique called RICE:

  • R: Rest the injured area and discontinue the activity that caused the injury.
  • I: Ice the injured area two to three times per day for 20 to 30 minutes.
  • C: Use compression on the injured area with a brace or wrap.
  • E: Elevate the injured area as much as possible.

If your symptoms haven't gone away after using the RICE technique for three to seven days, along with over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain medications such as ibuprofen, call your doctor. He or she may decide to send you to a sports medicine specialist if the injury is severe.

See our primary care locations to find one near you.