Terri Taylor, a registered dietician with the HonorHealth Virginia G. Piper Cancer Network, shows you how to lighten up a family favorite.
Lite broccamole puts a new twist on traditional guacamole. By replacing part of the avocado with broccoli, you lower the fat and calories and increase the fiber. It’s a great way to increase your daily vegetable intake.
- 1 large head broccoli
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- ½ to 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Steam broccoli until very soft.
- In a large bowl, mash broccoli with avocado.
- Mix in onions, tomatoes, garlic, lime juice, hot pepper sauce and cilantro until mixture resembles the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Season to taste with salt.
Yield: 16 servings
Approximate nutritional breakdown per serving: 30 calories, 1 gram protein, 2 grams fat, 2 grams carbohydrate, 1.3 grams fiber, 30 milligrams sodium.