Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)
What is polymyalgia rheumatica?
Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is an inflammatory musculoskeletal disorder that results in pain and stiffness in your shoulders, neck and hips.
- Pain and stiffness that is worse in the morning
- Low grade fever
- Weight loss
- Sudden loss of vision, headaches and jaw pain when chewing, if you have an associated condition called temporal arteritis
- More common in individuals with northern European ancestry
Diagnosing polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)
- Detailed medical history and physical exam
- Laboratory testing
- Biopsy of the temporal artery when associated temporal arteritis is suspected
Treating polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)
- Corticosteroid medication such as prednisone
- Steroid sparing agents, such as methotrexate
- Newer more specific medications are in development