What is Sjögren’s syndrome?
Sjögren’s syndrome is a chronic autoimmune inflammatory systemic disorder resulting from the abnormal function of certain immune cells, which damage the glands that produce tears and saliva.
- Dry eyes
- Dry mouth (causing dental issues)
- Joint pain
- Female gender
- Genetic factors
Diagnosing Sjögren’s syndrome
- Detailed medical history and physical examination
- Laboratory testing
Treating Sjögren’s syndrome
- Artificial tears to keep your eyes moist and prevent damage to your cornea
- Lozenges and other interventions for dry mouth
- Physical therapy and exercise programs for joint pain and fatigue
- Medications: NSAIDs or immune suppressive treatment