Why choose the HonorHealth Family Medicine Residency Program?
Looking for outstanding academics, a flexible curriculum, broad-spectrum training, research opportunities, and community involvement? The Family Medicine Residency Program at HonorHealth Scottsdale Osborn Medical Center, established in 1974, successfully provides all of these to the next generation of family medicine practitioners.
Boasting an exceptional first-time pass rate for board certification (see our Residency Program Certification Performance Summary PDF), the program prepares you to practice family medicine in any setting after graduation.
Graduates have gone on to practice in a wide variety of settings, including private practice, academic institutions, rural settings, urgent care or ER-based practices, and as hospitalists. On average, one graduate a year pursues primary care fellowship training.
Since the program's launch, approximately half of our graduates have remained in Arizona while others have gone on to practice throughout the United States and internationally.
Our mission becomes your mission
The Family Medicine Residency mission: We foster the future of family medicine by educating competent, capable, compassionate family physicians.
As a graduate, you will:
- Provide comprehensive, patient-centered primary care.
- Embrace continuity of care and collaborate effectively with other healthcare professionals to maximize the quality of patient care.
- Provide high-quality, evidence-based and cost-effective care.
- Demonstrate a pattern of lifelong learning by embracing and augmenting your knowledge and skills in family medicine.
- Practice preventive medicine in the context of the individual, family and community.
- Incorporate behavioral, emotional, social, cultural and environmental factors as you promote health and manage illness.
- Demonstrate the highest standard of professional conduct and ethical practice.
- Maintain a balance between professional satisfaction and a rewarding personal well-being.
- Develop tools to become leaders in family medicine.
The HonorHealth Family Medicine Residency Program offers:
- A comprehensive community-based program affiliated with the University of Arizona College of Medicine, Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine, and A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine.
- A strong academic curriculum emphasizing evidence-based medicine enhanced by robust didactics.
- A dedicated, enthusiastic faculty, each with a variety of professional interests and skills.
- A Federally Qualified Health Center, our Heuser Family Medicine Center in Scottsdale provides care to an underserved and diverse population that includes Hispanic and Native American communities.
- A collegial working environment that values teamwork among faculty, residents, nurses, and office staff.
- A strong advisor system that advocates for and assists you throughout your training.
- A busy hospital inpatient service at HonorHealth Scottsdale Osborn Medical Center. The inpatient service is managed by our resident physicians in collaboration with attending physicians and clinical pharmacists.
- An active resident association led by a peer-elected president. The association has monthly resident/faculty meetings to address pertinent program issues.
- A strong, integrated and longitudinal behavioral science curriculum focusing on relationship-centered care.
You'll learn about family medicine in the beautiful desert cities of Scottsdale and Phoenix.