When you're feeling good, it's easy to think that your body will take care of itself. But it's vital for men to make their health a priority rather than an afterthought. HonorHealth makes it convenient to up your game with community events, physician presentations, health screenings and the newest medical technology.
If you're concerned about prostatitis, prostate cancer, sexual function, urinary problems or testosterone deficiency, or the health of your knees, hips and other joints, HonorHealth's expert physicians can put you on the road to recovery.
HonorHealth offers a wide range of screenings that can help identify health problems and detect diseases early, when they are easier to treat. Although you should talk to your physician about what specific screenings you may need, you should definitely consider the following:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm: If you're between ages 65 and 75 and have smoked 100 or more cigarettes in your lifetime, you should be screened for abdominal aortic aneurysm, which is an abnormally large or swollen blood vessel in your abdomen.
- Colorectal cancer: A colorectal cancer test is a must starting at age 50, but you may need the screening earlier if you have a family history of colorectal cancer.
- Diabetes: If you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol, a diabetes test can help your physician identify and address related health issues.
- High blood pressure: Have your blood pressure checked at least every two years. High blood pressure is 120/80 or higher.
- High cholesterol: You should have your cholesterol checked regularly starting at age 35. If you are younger and smoke, have diabetes, high blood pressure, or a family history of heart disease, talk to your physician about the need for a cholesterol check.
- Obesity: Have your Body Mass Index calculated to find out if your ratio of height to weight is appropriate.
- Prostate cancer: Men over age 50 should have a PSA blood test and digital rectal examination once every year to screen for prostate cancer. If you're over 40 but in a high-risk group, such as an African-American man and/or have a family history of prostate cancer, you also should seriously consider having the screening.
You may have heard about the da Vinci surgical robot for treating prostate cancer and other health problems. HonorHealth leads the pack in minimally invasive surgery. Our latest-model, high-definition robot uses high-tech instruments operated by a surgeon at a console, which enables certain urology, general surgery and orthopedic procedures to be performed with smaller incisions. For you, that means less pain, as well as less hospital time and a faster recovery.
Beyond robotic surgery, HonorHealth has state-of-the-art diagnostic tools and treatments, including lasers and implants to manage prostate disease, erectile dysfunction and urinary difficulties.
Start a discussion about your health and wellness today. Make an appointment with one of our primary care providers in your neighborhood.