HonorHealth offers in-depth diagnosis and treatment services for thoracic diseases, including lung, esophageal and chest disorders. Our team – which includes specialists in thoracic and cardiothoracic surgery – will work with you and your extended care team to determine the best treatment for your condition. To provide the highest quality care to our patients with lung and esophageal cancer, our team also offers the latest treatments in thoracic surgical oncology.
Dealing with thoracic-related health problems can seem overwhelming. Please remember you’re not alone. Our team of caring experts can work closely with you to identify, prioritize and take the small but vital steps needed to help you. Together, we can take the journey to better health.
Diagnosing thoracic diseases
Lung surgery is done for a variety of benign (infection, collapsed lung, etc.) or malignant (cancer-related) conditions. To help your doctor evaluate your lungs and diagnose your condition, they may perform a series of tests to help determine the best course of action.
This may include:
- X-rays – This imaging technique takes single pictures used to examine broken bones, identify a nodule or mass, or fluid build-up around the lungs.
- CT or CAT scans – A test that produces cross-sectional images of the body using X-rays and a computer and give a more detailed image than a traditional X-ray. These scans are used to detect tumors, swollen lymph nodes or chest abnormalities.
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) – This test uses magnetic fields and radio waves to create detailed images of your brain, organs, joints and blood vessels.
- PET (positron emission tomography) – This nuclear medicine imaging technique produces a 3D image by rotating around your body and using small amounts of ionized radioactive materials.
- Biopsy – Other diagnostic tools, including CT-guided procedures, cone beam technology and minimally invasive, robotic-assisted bronchoscopies with shape sensing technology.
You may also have tests done that measure how well your lungs are working, such as a pulmonary function test, pulse oximetry or arterial blood samples.
Treating thoracic diseases
One of the treatment options for thoracic diseases is surgery. Depending on your symptoms and test results, your surgeon will recommend the best treatment approach for your diagnosis. At HonorHealth, we use the latest technologies to offer a variety of minimally invasive treatment options.
Using leading-edge technology during surgery is a less or minimally invasive approach to surgery. Robotic surgery allows for a faster recovery time, quicker surgery and reduces the amount of anesthesia for patients. A robot is typically used during all lung, hernia, esophagus and rib resection surgeries.