Child Life Specialists make the hospital a more comfortable place for kids. These specialists at Scottsdale Shea Medical Center and Deer Valley Medical Center:
- Serve as advisers, teachers and comforters for pediatric patients and their families as non-medical members of the care team.
- Are trained to interact with children in a hospital setting to reduce their anxiety and apprehension.
- Are involved in pre-surgery educational tours.
- Conduct developmental assessments of their patients.
- Explain procedures in child-friendly terms.
- Support and distract patients during procedures.
- Stage "medical play" to enhance understanding.
- Accompany a child during inpatient and outpatient procedures to decrease stress and make the child more comfortable.
For more information about our Child Life Specialists, please call 480-323-3146 at Scottsdale Shea Medical Center or 623-879-1656 at Deer Valley Medical Center.