In addition to bariatric surgical procedures, you and your HonorHealth physician may also discuss non-surgical weight loss options. These include:
A physician-supervised weight loss program: If you have excess weight to lose, but want to avoid surgery or need help losing weight to be ready for surgery, a personalized, physician-supervised weight loss program might be right for you.
With this alternative, you'll meet with a bariatric nurse practitioner, registered dietitian and exercise specialist each month to discuss lifestyle changes that include diet and exercise programs. You'll create realistic action plans and make follow-up appointments to track and document your progress.
To learn more, call 480-882-7460.
Intra-gastric balloon procedure: In addition to laparoscopic surgical options, you now have a new option via endoscopy. HonorHealth participated in the clinical trials that made this non-surgical option possible.
You may be eligible if you:
- Have a body mass index of 30 to 40.
- Have attempted diet and exercise without success.
- Have one or more medical conditions resulting from excess weight.
What you can expect with the intra-gastric balloon procedure:
- It will be done on an outpatient basis.
- A bariatric physician will insert an instrument called an endoscope through your mouth, placing two balloons in your stomach.
- The balloons will be filled with saline (a sterile salt solution) and will remain in your stomach.
- After six months, your bariatric physician will deflate and remove the balloons during a similar procedure.
- You should go home the same day.
How the intra-gastric balloon procedure can help you lose weight:
- The balloons in your stomach make you feel fuller. You eat less and therefore take in fewer calories. This can jump-start your weight loss.
- During the six months the balloons are in your stomach, you’ll meet regularly with registered dieticians and weight loss coaches. This will help you establish healthy eating and exercise patterns.
- You'll continue to receive weight loss coaching for an additional six months to help you stay on track with your goals. At the end of the year, you'll have the tools you need to keep the weight off for good.
What are the advantages to the intra-gastric balloon procedure?
- Non-surgical weight loss option done on an outpatient basis with little down time.
- No scarring.
- The procedure is reversible — in fact, the balloons will be removed in six months.
- Initial results show twice the weight loss of traditional weight loss methods with continued weight loss or maintenance at six months.